Dave Bondy
Politics • Culture • News
Education Department Slashes Nearly Half Its Workforce Amid Calls for Dismantlement
Why some say this is a good thing
March 11, 2025
post photo preview

The U.S. Department of Education initiated a dramatic reduction in its workforce Tuesday night, laying off nearly 50% of its employees—approximately 1,315 workers—leaving just 2,183 staff members to carry out the agency’s operations. The mass layoffs, confirmed by senior officials, come as the Trump administration accelerates its push to shrink the federal government, with the Education Department emerging as a prime target for cuts or outright elimination. As civil servants rallied outside the department’s headquarters in protest, the move reignited a fierce debate over the agency’s role and whether dismantling it could benefit the nation’s education system.

Support my independent journalism by becoming a paid subscriber. I left the mainstream media in order to bring you stories without corporate narratives.

 

 

The layoffs, described as a “reduction in force” (RIF), began with notices emailed to employees around 6 p.m., instructing affected staff to vacate the premises by the end of the day for “security reasons.” Buildings nationwide were closed Wednesday, with employees directed to telework or stay home, reopening Thursday. Impacted workers will shift to paid administrative leave starting March 21, retaining full pay and benefits through June 9, according to department statements. The sudden cuts follow earlier terminations of 63 probationary employees last month and voluntary separations by over 300 staffers incentivized with up to $25,000 payouts.

President Donald Trump, who has long criticized the agency as a “big con job,” signaled his intent to dismantle it entirely, a promise echoed in the GOP’s campaign platform and the controversial Project 2025 blueprint from the Heritage Foundation. “I’d like it to be closed immediately,” Trump told reporters last week, aligning with his broader agenda—backed by adviser Elon Musk and the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE)—to slash federal spending and bureaucracy. While closing the department requires Congressional approval, experts say the layoffs and a potential executive order directing Education Secretary Linda McMahon to wind down operations could effectively gut its functionality.

Why Some Advocate for Dismantling the Department

For critics of the Department of Education, the layoffs are a welcome step toward dismantling what they see as an inefficient and overreaching federal entity. Established in 1979 under President Jimmy Carter, the agency oversees federal student aid, enforces civil rights in schools, and allocates funds like Title I grants for low-income districts. Yet, opponents argue it has outlived its purpose, encroaching on state autonomy and bloating administrative costs without improving student outcomes.

“Education is best handled at the state and local level,” said Neal McCluskey, director of the Center for Educational Freedom at the Cato Institute. “The federal department adds layers of red tape and spends billions on programs that don’t measurably boost achievement. Returning control to the states could save money and let communities tailor education to their needs.” Data supports the claim of limited federal impact: roughly 90% of K-12 funding already comes from state and local sources, with the department’s $80 billion annual budget—a fraction of the $1.7 trillion in total U.S. education spending—seen by some as disproportionate to its influence.

Advocates for dismantlement also point to programs like Title I and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), suggesting they could be shifted to block grants or other agencies like Health and Human Services. Project 2025 proposes such a model, arguing it would streamline funding and empower parents with more school choice. “The department’s a middleman that distorts priorities,” one conservative policy analyst noted anonymously. “States could innovate faster without Washington’s one-size-fits-all rules.”

Opposition and Uncertainty Ahead

The layoffs sparked immediate backlash from educators and unions. National Education Association President Becky Pringle called the cuts “a direct attack on students,” warning that losing nearly half the staff threatens programs serving millions, including 7.5 million students with disabilities under IDEA and 2.8 million in low-income schools reliant on Title I. “These aren’t just jobs—they’re lifelines for kids,” she said.

Critics also question the logistics of dismantlement. Transferring student loan oversight—managing $1.6 trillion in debt—or civil rights enforcement to other agencies could create chaos, especially with reduced staff. Borrower advocates fear delays in loan forgiveness programs like Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF), already strained by administrative bottlenecks. “Fewer people means more mistakes go unfixed,” said Sameer Gadkaree of The Institute for College Access & Success.

As the department consolidates offices and braces for potential further cuts, the debate intensifies. Supporters of dismantlement see a leaner, state-led system as a bold reform; detractors warn of abandoned students and a fractured safety net. With Congress unlikely to abolish the agency outright—requiring 60 Senate votes amid a filibuster—Trump’s next moves, including a rumored executive order, could test the limits of presidential power and reshape education for years to come. For now, the laid-off workers and the students they served face an uncertain future.

community logo
Join the Dave Bondy Community
To read more articles like this, sign up and join my community today
0
What else you may like…
Videos
Posts
Articles
Digging deep into Lapeer, Michigan City Commission Chaos

Lapeer residents have been raising concerns about ongoing tension and dysfunction within the city commission. In this interview, independent journalist Tim Galbraith breaks down what’s happening behind the scenes, including leadership conflicts, transparency issues, and why some say it’s impacting how the city operates. If you live in Lapeer or care about local government accountability, this is a conversation you need to hear.

00:20:08
Flint man says city won't help him withe next door eyesoar.

He did everything right. Bought a broken-down home in Flint and rebuilt it for his family. Now he’s living next to a burned-out property that’s been sitting for months. He says he’s called for help over and over with no response. This is what happens when people trying to do the right thing are left on their own.

00:13:42
Michigan House Bill 5711, which would roll back the state’s clean energy mandates for utilities, has cleared the House Energy Committee and is headed to the full House for a vote. If approved there, it would move to the Senate for consideration.

Michigan House Bill 5711, which would roll back the state’s clean energy mandates for utilities, has cleared the House Energy Committee and is headed to the full House for a vote.
If approved there, it would move to the Senate for consideration.

00:00:26
Saginaw, Michigan publicly funded library will be hosting a drag time story hour for kids. Several of my followers sent this to me calling it inappropriate. What’s your thoughts?

Saginaw, Michigan publicly funded library will be hosting a drag time story hour for kids. Several of my followers sent this to me calling it inappropriate. What’s your thoughts?

post photo preview
Michigan State Rep. Matt Maddock showed up to today’s consensus revenue estimating conference in Lansing wearing a “DOGE” baseball cap. This is the meeting where officials decide how much tax money the state expects to bring in next year, which ultimately

Michigan State Rep. Matt Maddock showed up to today’s consensus revenue estimating conference in Lansing wearing a “DOGE” baseball cap.
This is the meeting where officials decide how much tax money the state expects to bring in next year, which ultimately shapes Michigan’s budget

post photo preview
It’s national prayer day. If you haven’t prayed in a while, take some time to do so.

It’s national prayer day. If you haven’t prayed in a while, take some time to do so.

post photo preview
News they don't want you to see
Wednesday May 20, 2026

Support my independent journalism by becoming a paid supporter. I left my high paying job in the media to go independent. Join my mission for less thn $1 per week.

 

 

 
 

Six criminal illegal aliens deported last year found on Jocelyn Benson’s voter rolls

Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson won’t discuss how many illegal voters remain on the state’s voter rolls, but recent reports suggest the issue may be larger than previously acknowledged.

The same day Anthony Forlini flagged nearly a dozen additional noncitizens on Michigan’s voter rolls, online researchers highlighted several criminal illegal immigrants with active voter registrations, including some with voting histories spanning multiple elections.

The claims were first reported by The Gateway Pundit. The Midwesterner reported it confirmed details using public address databases, a Department of Homeland Security database, and CheckMyVote.org, a site operated by conservative activist Phani Mantravadi, who recently won a lawsuit against Benson regarding access to portions of Michigan’s Qualified Voter File. Click here to read more.


 

Pritzker board eliminates poor attendance from Illinois school ratings

Illinois plans to eliminate poor attendance from school ratings at a time when a fourth of the state’s students miss a significant chunk of the academic year.

In an overhaul the State Board of Education approved in April, “chronic absenteeism,” or missing 10% or more of the school year with or without a valid excuse, will no longer ding a school’s rating. All nine current board members were appointed by Gov. J.B. Pritzker.

The new system will use the term “consistent attendance,” the percentage of students present 90% or more of the school year.

That semantic switch may confuse parents about what’s really being measured, though it’s just a different way of saying the same thing. But the revised system also changes attendance from a “core indicator” in the rankings to merely an “elevating indicator.” Click here to read more.


I don’t let my kids have phones. I use Rapid Radios to stay in touch. Click here to learn more about these push to talk nationwide walkie talkies.

 

Get an extra 10% off on these Rapid Radios. Click here to learn more. I love mine.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd2ea9316-1358-4bd7-97b5-7a04f92a0b2a_1100x100.png
 

Major Transportation Union Poured Millions Into Dem Politics, Casinos As Workers Got Sold Out, Report Finds

A major transportation union invested millions into Democratic-aligned political activity while also pouring member funds into leisure and recreational events, according to a report first obtained by the Daily Caller News Foundation.

The American Accountability Foundation report alleges SMART-TD poured money into Democratic candidates and liberal groups while spending heavily on entertainment, travel, casinos and resorts. The report also argues the spending shows union leadership is out of step with the purportedly “MAGA” blue-collar workers it represents. Click here to read more.

 

Florida Politicians Battle Professors in High-Stakes Match

Universities across the country are facing unprecedented government scrutiny of everything from the rise of antisemitism to the lack of viewpoint diversity in the left-leaning social sciences. Nowhere is the ideological battle over higher education more contentious and consequential than in Florida, home to the second-largest university system in the country.

Florida’s crusade against progressivism has been more methodical and aggressive than anywhere else. Beyond setting up a civics program focusing on Western traditions, a trend in many other Republican-dominated states, Florida has launched what critics consider a frontal assault on another tradition – academic freedom – the idea that professors are the experts who determine course content. Click here to read more.

 

Trump expands TrumpRx with 600+ generics to boost drug price competition

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Monday the expansion of TrumpRx.gov to include more than 600 generic medications, aiming to provide Americans with greater price transparency and choices for everyday prescriptions without insurance middlemen.

The move builds on the site’s February launch and integrates discounts from providers including Amazon Pharmacy, Cost Plus Drugs and GoodRx. Officials positioned it as a key step in Trump’s broader efforts to lower drug prices through competition and Most-Favored-Nation policies.

“TrumpRx.gov has already been visited more than 10 million times, and has saved American consumers over $400M already,” Trump said in the announcement. Click here to read more.

Subscribe now

Read full Article
News they don't want you to see
Tuesday May 19, 2026

Thanks for being here. I send this email out Monday - Friday showing you the stories you won’t see in the mainstream media.

 
 

Alleged GPS trickery leads to Medicaid fraud charges

Two Clare County siblings have been charged with conspiracy and Medicaid fraud over a travel-reimbursement swindle that takes money from state and federal governments.

Attorney General Dana Nessel said April 29 that Steven John Caplan, 31, and Kayla Marie Earls, 35, both of Harrison, had been arraigned before Judge Lisa Babcock of 54B District Court in East Lansing for allegedly committing transportation fraud in the Medicaid program.

Caplan has been charged with one count of conducting a continuing criminal enterprise, a 20-year felony; one count of Medicaid fraud — conspiracy, a 10-year felony; and ten counts of Medicaid fraud — false claim, each a 4-year felony. Click here to read more. Click here to read more.


 

Oakley Village Council rescinds ICE cooperation agreement after pro-illegal immigration activists complain

The Oakley Village Council on Tuesday voted to rescind the village police department’s cooperation agreement with Immigration and Customs Enforcement to appease activists.

Despite apparent support from some members, the Oakley Village Council opted to end the Oakley Police Department’s 287(g) program agreement with ICE inked by Police Chief Marc Ferguson, the department’s only officer, on March 24, Mlive.

Ferguson did not inform the council of the agreement until days after it was signed, Oakley Village President Richard Fish told WJRT. Click here to read more.


I don’t let my kids have phones. I use Rapid Radios to stay in touch. Click here to learn more about these push to talk nationwide walkie talkies.

 

Get an extra 10% off on these Rapid Radios. Click here to learn more. I love mine.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd2ea9316-1358-4bd7-97b5-7a04f92a0b2a_1100x100.png
 
Appeals Court Puts Stake Through Heart Of New York’s Anti-2nd Amendment ‘Vampire Rule’

A federal appellate court ruled that New York’s law banning firearms carrying under a so-called “vampire rule” violated the Second Amendment.

Shortly after the Supreme Court struck down New York’s discretionary system for issuing concealed carry permits, Democratic New York Gov. Kathy Hochul signed legislation enacting numerous restrictions on carrying firearms after convening a special session of the state Legislature. A majority of the three-judge panel from the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled that a provision requiring private property owners to post signs allowing concealed carry was unconstitutional. Click here to read more.

 

Pa. officer who shot attempted Trump assassin named NRA’s Officer of the Year 2025

BUTLER, Pa. — A Pennsylvania police sergeant who fired at the gunman during the July 13, 2024 assassination attempt against President Donald Trump has been named the National Rifle Association’s 2025 Law Enforcement Officer of the Year, the organization stated.

Sgt. Aaron Zaliponi of the Adams Township Police Department was serving as the counter assault team leader for the Butler County Emergency Service Unit during Trump’s campaign rally at the Butler County Farm Show grounds.

According to the NRA, officers were alerted around 6:09 p.m. to a suspicious man on top of one of the agricultural buildings near the rally site. Minutes later, gunfire erupted.

Zaliponi said he heard several shots before locating the suspect lying prone on a rooftop. As the gunman continued firing, Zaliponi engaged him with a rifle shot from approximately 115 yards away. Click here to read more.

 

Billions for Medicaid Expansion Congress Never Approved

The Biden administration may have failed to convince Congress to double Medicaid spending on home healthcare in 2021, but the funding increase occurred anyway.

An RCI analysis of federal data has found that spending on the program, which pays health aides and family members to act as caregivers for elderly and disabled adults, nearly doubled between 2019 and 2024, to $46.4 billion a year – an amount nearly identical to the $50 billion per year Biden wanted. As a result, American taxpayers paid more than $217 billion for home-based care under the program during that five-year span.

Lacking congressional approval, policymakers simply moved the initiative out of Washington and down to the state Medicaid agencies. Click here to read more.

Subscribe now

Read full Article
News they don't want you to see
Wednesday May 13, 2026
Read full Article
See More
Available on mobile and TV devices
google store google store app store app store
google store google store app tv store app tv store amazon store amazon store roku store roku store
Powered by Locals